The Erin Zona Art Show

I've been thinking for a few months that I needed a new dumb little corner of the internet where I could hang out and keep in touch and so, here it is. I don't need a lot of attention but the interest of one, two, even as many as seven people has been a positive motivator for me and so I'd like to keep that energy going elsewhere and return it where I can. My debut post is about the first art show I have hosted in my house, "The Erin Zona Art Show."





Erin is one of the best artists I've ever met. She's interested in everything. It's funny to suffer through your teens and twenties watching people try to be cool and then meet Erin, who possesses a limitless and equal enthusiasm for high culture, low culture, friends, family, whatever. She's so thoughtful and so cool. Her presence is electric. She makes all of her big, beautiful, transcendent artwork by hand, with a compass and a pen. Besides being cool and smart and talented, Erin elevates everyone around her: the sign of a very evolved Leo. I don't think I would be making art if it weren't for her. She recognized something useful in me and gave me lots of projects and opportunities where I might express myself. She has never given me false praise, only sincere criticism. I appreciate her so much. This is Lisa in front of Erin's most recent triptych.



I'm not an art critic, just an occassional gallerist, so I thought I would express my feelings with a surprise retrospective. Without disclosing too much she has both been "going through it" and is "recovering fine" so it seemed like an opportune time to share some of the artwork she is storing at my house and also collect some early work and ephemera from friends in town. Pat had three earlier prints of hers and Jordan and Danni had a few more. I had the complete "Catfolio" collection, a set of 25 pinback buttons designed by 25 different artists. This was our first correspondance when I was cyberstalking her years ago, and came with a few other artworks. I thought wow, this chick is so cool, and I was right.






Jeanne hung the show for me, after Cass said that Jeanne could hang a whole art show in about half an hour. She was right! Jeanne did an incredible job. She pointed out that I needed a good lamp, maybe a salt lamp to affect some negative (positive??) ionization. Christi and Shannon helped me transport everything from Charlotte Street to my house. We surprised Erin over Facetime and she was surprised and hopefully delighted. Shannon made the call because she's much funnier than I am. She also documented everything; thanks Shannon. Thanks Eve for the incredible charcuterie board. I forgot Eve is one of the only other vegans I know so I was eating vegan brie for the next week, feeling so spoiled. Grace and Julissa came through for open hours. Everyone thanked me for putting the show together but I don't feel like I really did anything. I told Erin I was fulfilling my secret, fucked up fantasy of being the #1 collector of Erin Zona artwork in America. It's true, every day I walk into that room like damn, wow, this feels incredible. Is this what it feels like to be famous and own your very own Basquiat (Lars Ulrich) and the answer is no, it feels way better. Soon there will be a vacancy in my spare room, if you or anyone you know needs a space to be yourself, I have it, too much of it. Get in touch, keep it real, more to come.








Comments